2019 Band Consortium Commission
Composer Katherine Bergman is pleased to announce a new consortium commission for the creation of a new work for concert band. Bergman's music for band couples an idiomatic approach to wind band composition with a unique sonic world that captivates performers and audiences alike.
About the Composer
Katherine Bergman is a Minnesota-based composer who draws on environmentalism, literature, and found materials to create work that has been described as hypnotic and visceral. She has received commissions and performances from leading ensembles throughout the United States, including the U.S. Coast Guard Band, Encore Wind Ensemble, Gustavus Wind Orchestra, Duke University Wind Symphony, Zeitgeist, The Minnesota Percussion Trio, and many others. Katherine holds degrees from the University of Northern Iowa and Gustavus Adolphus College, and her composition instructors have included Mary Ellen Childs, Jonathan Schwabe, and Samuel Adler. Katherine is director and co-founder of Spitting Image, a collective of Minneapolis-St. Paul composers.
Explore the playlist to the right to become familiar with Katherine's music.
- Instrumentation: Standard concert band instrumentation
- Difficulty: Grade 3
- Duration: 5-6 minutes
- Commission fee of $300 per ensemble includes one full set of the score and parts, and one online rehearsal with the composer. (In-person rehearsals can be arranged if within the Twin Cities metro or by covering travel expenses.)
- Payment is accepted via check or PayPal/credit card and is due upon registration.
- Delivery: Completed score and parts will be delivered no later than July 2019. Scores will be printed and bound, parts will be delivered as PDFs.
- Performance exclusivity: Consortium members will have exclusive rights to perform the piece through July 2020. On August 1, 2020 the piece will become eligible for performance by non-members.
- Composer residency: Katherine enjoys participating in workshops, rehearsals, pre-concert talks, interviews, and other educational and community-related activities. Interested consortium members can contact Katherine individually to discuss availability.
- Questions: Email Katherine Bergman at katherine[at]katherinebergman.net